2010 has been a hell of a year. One year ago from now, I was living in an apartment that I hated in New York City. I had a good job and people I loved working for and with but I knew it was never going to be the job from which I retired.
I didn’t blog regularly. I took photos here and there and posted on Facebook like many people do but I didn’t pursue passions and/or blog about them.
I was living with my wonderful, supportive boyfriend who was applying for law schools and we were doing our best to make ends meet. Then he got into several schools, weighed out his options, made a decision, and we whisked ourselves out of the city and that apartment and back to our Midwestern roots (more specifically, his). We now reside in Illinois, Land of Lincoln and very, very flat land. It’s been an incredible journey and every year that I see to an end, I am reminded of how much can change and how much one can accomplish in 365 days’ time. Just one person’s life can be altered so dramatically. Sometimes it’s hard to turn around and look back because we have come so far.
I took up blogging more regularly the latter half of the year. And then suddenly, as if by magic, I made it onto Freshly Pressed with this post. I had been pondering how I could get more readers and suddenly I was bestowed with the gift of being featured. Ever since, I have felt a complete passion for blogging overtake me and I have been regularly posting ever since. I’ve also been blog-networking more and discovering this whole universe of fellow bloggers who make it look easy and so darn pretty. I can state with confidence that my blog roll will increase exponentially in size.
I received a fabulous present that will aid me in moving forward with authoring my blog with my own photos:
I am so grateful to everyone who reads my wee blog faithfully and those who pass it on to others. Someone at Christmastime even asked me, “Hey what’s the name of your blog? I wanted to check it out.” I was so pleased to hear about one word-of-mouth referral that you’d have thought I had a New York Times bestseller or something. I have been doing my blog since August of 2008 but it is at the end of 2010 that I see it blooming into….well, something. It feels more tangible today than it did two years ago.
And so, as I bask in that warm glow of gratification and appreciation, I now make my list.
Things I’m looking forward to in 2011:
- Overhauling Zoe Says to a new look and format. (Gulp.)
- Taking tons more photos; learning how to edit them; sharing those photos.
- Learning more about logo and button design.
- Networking with more fellow bloggers and readers.
- Doing more crafts.
- Actually meditating, and regularly.
- Keeping up a nightly facial routine.
- Not obsessing about my physical appearance (read: weight) but focusing on my health and how I feel in my body.
- Making new friends in my still new community.
- Reading more books. I love love love to read but my attentions have been focused elsewhere this year and I haven’t read nearly as much as I’d like.
- Being more patient.
- Waking up earlier.
- Not forgetting for too long how blessed I really am, every day.
Good tidings to you, wherever you are. For family, for friends, for peace among men…we wish you
a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!